Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Keg!

 I was asked to make a keg for a surprise 40th birthday party!  I decided that I didn't want a wimpy little cake, I wanted a cake with girth!  I used 6 layers of 10" rounds stacked.  I had to use cake boards and wooden dowels between every two layers for support.  I was so thankful that it held up, it was a lot of cake!
 1/3 of the cake was cookies and cream with chocolate buttercream filling, 1/3 was cookies and cream with vanilla buttermilk filling and the remaining 1/3 was chocolate with raspberry filling.  The customer requested that buttercream be used to finish the cake, rather than fondant.  The labels are fondant, the ring around the top is gumpaste and the rest of the cake is finished off in buttercream.  I was happy with the way this turned out!
All of the labels are hand painted and brushed with silver to give the keg a bit more of a rustic look!  

No comments:

Post a Comment