Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wedding Calla Lillies!

It was a pleasure to make this cake and cupcake display for a happy young couple celebrating their "I do's"!!  The couple requested 150 mini cupcakes with a small cake to top off the display.  Purple with white calla lillies was the request.  I was provided with a swatch of fabric from the bridesmaids' dresses and matched the fondant and buttercream to that.  It took quite a bit of colour gel to get a match as it was such a deep, lovely purple, but I got it!  The cake and cupcakes were vanilla buttermilk and the cupcakes were topped with a swirl of vanilla buttercream, while the cake was also covered in buttercream as well as fondant.  I used silver cupcake liners and matching ribbon around the cake board and finished the cake off with a cute little fondant trim.  I managed to find an incredibly easy way to make the gumpaste calla lillies using paper cones.  I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find those paper cone cups anywhere, so I resorted to making them myself.  Thankfully, one of my boys recently requested that I make him an elf hat out of felt like Buddy in the movie Elf wears (those of you who know me, feel free to take a guess at who that might have been)!  Anyway, it was good practice for making the cones for the flowers.  I'm looking forward to making these again sometime soon, maybe in other amazing colours!  I was so happy to receive a sweet email from the bride a few days after the wedding, letting me know that it was just what she had pictured and she was quite happy with how everything turned out!  It does my heart good when people are happy with their cake, especially when it's a happy bride!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment