Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Budding Artist!



When asked to make this cake, I was told that the the birthday girl is very interested in art and, in fact, her birthday party was art themed.  Due to unexpected schedule changes with the customer, I didn't know I would be making this cake until two days prior to the party...yikes!  Thankfully I work well under pressure and with little sleep!  Picasso was mentioned as a possible feature of the cake but it definitely had to include something art related.  I decided that what the cake needed was an actual Picasso painting, so I set out to hand paint a portion of Picasso's Le Reve (The Dream).  
Using a multitude of colour gels, I went to work and was pleased with the way it turned out! I finished it off with a gold fondant frame and propped it on top of the cake. The next step was the painter's pallet.  Using fondant I coloured brown, I added some extra brown and pulled it through to give it more of a wood grain look.  The paint brush was the finishing touch and sitting it in front of the cake seemed like the perfect spot!  I'd originally thought of covering the cake in white buttercream, to give more of an impression of a blank canvas. It came to mind that this was meant for an 8 year old's party and that a splash of colour might be nice.  I decided to bring out the very faint mauve in the painting and then use a darker purple for the trim, writing and flowers.  It took far longer than I had hoped, particularly after getting it in my head that I was going to replicate a portion of a Picasso painting!  I was glad I stuck with it and hope that Ahrielle had a wonderful birthday!

My own pallet used in the making of this cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment