Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Patch Treasurechest for Charlie!

 I've always wanted to do a pirate themed birthday party for one of my boys, but they've always been interested in something else!  I've put it out there again this year for the twins, who will be 5 next month, but I'd mentioned robots at one point and they're all over that like white on rice!  I am looking forward to that too and am already thinking of all the fun robot themed fun you could include in a birthday party...maybe the pirates will happen next year!!!  You can imagine I was happy to be asked to make a cake to go with a little man's pirate themed 3rd birthday party!  More specifically, it was themed around a Lalaloopsy Pirate doll, called Patch Treasurechest!  Charlie's only request was that the cake include a treasure chest and gold coins!  Well, it seemed like the only thing to do was a giant treasure chest with little Patch sitting propped against it!  Of course his little parrot friend had to be included and sat perched on top of the treasure chest.  This cake was huge and as I was making it, I was aware that it was far more than required for the party.  I thought it would look like a wimpy little treasure chest if I made it any smaller and you can't have a wimpy pirate cake!  The cake itself was vanilla buttermilk with vanilla buttercream filling.  I used a chocolate fondant to cover the treasure chest and then "carved" into in with one of my fondant tools to give the wooden look.  A bit of brown colour gel brushed on finished the look I was going for.  Strips of fondant that had been coloured golden yellow were added for the trim and then brushed with gold shimmer dust.  Patch was made completely out of fondant.  I tried to keep him realistic and made an enormous head.  Wow, was that thing ever tricky to hold up!  I got a bit carried away with the details and used small amounts of black and white fondant to make a little skull and crossbones on his shirt, as well as his little Chuck Taylor's.  Charlie got his wish and heaps of "gold" coins overflowed from the chest!  A little brown sugar for sand and a treasure map wishing the birthday boy a happy day, finished it off!  Phew, this was quite the project, but well worth it, especially seeing pictures of Charlie biting into Patch's head the second he was allowed at his cake!  The "carnage" photo of Patch afterwards had me laughing every time I looked at it!  So glad Charlie liked it and that he had a very happy day!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment