Thursday, January 3, 2013

"90 Years Young"

 It was a privilege to make this cake for a 90 year old who seems to be very young at heart!  I was given several ideas to work with regarding interests of the birthday girl, who is very active and vibrant!  I was also shown a photo of her, which I believed must have been from a few years back, and was in awe in discovering that it was taken very recently!  I tried to incorporate as much as I could in the design, to reflect the amazingly rich life that this incredible woman leads, but had to keep it to only a few of her interests!  She recently painted her bedroom lilac, she loves the theatre, jazz music and driving around in her convertible, to name a few, but these were the ones I went with!
 I decided to use a soft lilac, white and black as the featured colours of the cake.  I started out with a bottom tier featuring a harlequin pattern.  This always reminds me of the theatre and adds a nice contrast to other patterns used on the cake.  The middle tier consisted of a bar of music flowing from a saxophone silhouette.  The music wrapped around the circumference of the cake.  It was quite the time consuming process as each line and music note is made of single thin strips of fondant.  I'm so glad it worked out after all that!
To top off the cake, I added a third tier incorporating a convertible, to honour the guest of honour's love for her own, and a simple fondant flower!  I typically would not add a toy to a cake, as I like for all parts of the cake to be edible, however, I decided that I would not do justice to a convertible  made of fondant or gumpaste considering how much other detail I had planned for the cake.  Also, this would allow the birthday girl to have a souvenir of her party to keep, and play with if she so desires!

No comments:

Post a Comment