Thursday, January 3, 2013

Castle fit for a Princess!


I was happy to be asked to make Malia's birthday cake again this year!  I had made a barnyard themed cake for her second birthday and this year was to be a princess themed party!  I was asked to make a castle cake complete with shimmer, tulle and anything else that screamed "birthday party for a little princess"!  The cake itself consisted of a square bottom tier topped with a round tier.  The turrets were made of paper towel rolls covered in fondant and topped with fondant covered ice cream cones.  They were held together and attached to the cake using royal icing, which holds much better than buttercream or fondant would.  I added pink shimmer to the tops of the turrets and wrapped a piece of tulle around the cake board to finish it off.  Once again, I prefer the cakes to be completely edible but the birthday girls' mommy asked that I include her collection of princesses around the cake, which added the finishing touch!  It was Malia's birthday after all and if that's what she wanted, that's what she was getting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment